McKinney-Vento (Homeless Student Assistance)
The McKinney-Vento Act is designed to address the challenges that homeless children and youths have faced in enrolling, attending, and succeeding in school with a strong emphasis on the importance of school stability for homeless children and youths. School uniforms, hygiene items and backpacks with school supplies are all part of this program. The impact of changing schools multiple times can significantly impede a student's academic and social growth. The McKinney-Vento Act calls for school districts to maintain students in their school of origin to promote school stability and greater educational outcomes overall, unless it is not in the student's best interest.
We Are Here to Support You
If you live in a shelter or a transitional housing program or if you are temporarily living with friends or family because you do not have a permanent address; or if you live in a motel or campground because you cannot find or afford housing, or you live in a car, abandoned building, or a place not normally designed for sleeping, we are here to help.
A family may qualify for our district McKinney Vento program if there is a lack of a fixed, regular or adequate night-time residence.
What We Offer
Jackson-Madison County Schools offers several services to our families experiencing homelessness or living in transitional housing, such as:
- Assistance with school enrollment process and paperwork
- Help with school issues, questions, or concerns
- Housing and community resource information
- Assistance obtaining birth certificates, immunization records, and school records
- Parent education sessions and workshops
- Referrals for dental, medical, and mental health services
- School supplies and basic school uniforms
- Special distribution events (food boxes, hygiene products, holiday toys, etc.)
- Transportation to school and school-related events/activities
- Tutoring services
McKinney Vento Program Documents
- McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- McKinney Vento Referral Form (English)
- McKinney Vento Transportation Request (English)
- McKinney Vento Referral Form (Spanish)
- McKinney Vento Transportation Request (Spanish)
Contact the District Homeless Liaison